Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Quick Exotics

Once again, it came down to shopping and birding with Cynthia going to Santa Anita Mall and me going to the Los Angeles Arboretum.


The Arboretum is a great place to see introduced exotic birds that had established themselves locally. Among these is the Common Peafowl which is so plentiful here that it has become the symbol of this place. And of course, that was the very first bird I saw as soon as I got in.




Another "exotic" that I wanted to see was the Mandarin Duck but somehow they were absent from the pond where they usually hang out. On the other hand, the Red-whiskered Bulbul was quite vocal that morning.




A big surprise was the Yellow-chevroned Parakeet! I've seen this bird here before but it is usually very skittish and stays hidden among the palm leaves it likes to frequent. This time, however, I was able to get some good looks at it.




The adage that time flies when you're having fun certainly rang true when I got a text message from my wife saying she's done shopping and was on their (my son, Kurt, was with her) way to pick me up. 



No comments: