Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dreaming Hawaii

The lazy, hazy days of summer segued into the rainy, hazy days of the monsoon season. Because of these weather conditions our birding activities had been shoved aside and was replaced by uncontrolled languid moments. Not foreseeing any change in the near future our thoughts wandered into the sweet moments of the past.

"I miss Hawaii" I heard my wife speak from her semi-supine position as she played with the Word Drop game in her laptop. 

Indeed we had some great birding times in those beautiful tropical isles - Oahu in 2011 and the Big Island in 2012. Memories flooded my mind. Memories that prompted me to look at the old files of the bird photographs we took then. To my delight there were some images that I had not processed yet. 

In between the crunching of salted peanuts, I worked on those images as my soul drifted into the sandy beaches lined with palm trees swaying in the tropical breeze or in a sultry forest at the edge of a volcanic crater spewing sulphuric smoke intermittently. 

Red-vented Bulbul
White-rumped Shama
Pacific Golden Plover
Japanese White-eye
Hawaiian Elepaio
Kalij Pheasant
As I looked at the birds that now seem to come to life before my eyes, I smiled at the memories of dreams that came true.

No comments: