Tuesday, April 10, 2018

It Never Rains in Southern California

After our birding trip to Costa Rica we still had ten days to spare before returning home to the Philippines. There were still places in the greater Los Angeles area that I wanted to visit for some bird photography. However, we kept getting predictions that it will be raining. For almost a week, we did not plan any birding sortie afraid that we would be caught in a downpour. But guess what, it never rained during those days, well, maybe a short shower and it was at night.

Friday, and once again, the weather forecast was for some rainfall to occur. But I was determined. If it rains, then we'll let it, but for today let us go birding, I told my wife with such determination that she had no choice but to say yes.

It was a beautiful sunny day as we entered the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area. We headed to the Nature Center and I got one of my target birds quite easily - the Cactus Wren.



Unfortunately, that was the only bird we saw there. We then proceeded to the lake for some water birds. I was still roaming around looking for some birds other than Coots and Mallards when Cynthia approached me and showed a couple of pictures. I was like: Where did you get these? And she held me by my elbow, turned me around, and pointed to the merganser. "The White-fronted Goose was by the picnic tables," she said.


Greater White-fronted Goose 
Red-breasted Merganser. Very rare to see them on the shore.
From there we went to the levee where the Rock Wrens were usually found. A few hundred meters and still no wren. Cynthia did not want to go any further because 1) it was getting too hot and without any tree cover it will get worse (wasn't rain predicted today?) and 2) the area across the trail had been cordoned off in preparation for the upcoming Renaissance Fair next month thus the possibility of seeing birds had been greatly reduced.

On the way out I saw a Common Starling. I wanted to take photos of this fast spreading introduced species, so I parked and fulfilled my desire.



Although there weren't as many birds as we had experienced here in prior times, I was still glad that we had an opportunity to practice our hobby. That despite the threat of rain.

Didn't these weather forecasters know that it never rains in Southern California? Have they even heard the song?

1 comment:

Sneed Collard said...

Looks like a very fun day! Will have to remember that spot next time in L.A.