Saturday, January 06, 2018

Sick and Fine

The beginning of the year and I was sick with the flu. Friday, I was feeling a little better so I confirmed with our friend, Peter, that my wife and I will be at U.P. Diliman on Saturday morning. To do some birding, of course. 

Lately, the uncommon Naked-faced Spiderhunter had been seen at the area near the Marine Science Institute (MSI) building. That, of course, was our target bird. Another friend, Christopher, was already there when we arrived. There were actually 4 individual spiderhunters he informed us. Apparently these four had the habit of chasing each other all around the tree with few leaves. We just have to be patient and wait, Christopher told us. Soon we were joined by more friends, Gilbert and Wilma, Nes and Jops.

Fortunately, other species frolicked in that area. Black-naped Orioles were calling incessantly.


Another uncommon bird, the tiny Orange-bellied Flowerpecker, were flitting among the branches.


Then came our target birds. It was indeed a challenge taking their photos as they preferred the higher branches and don't stay put for long as they kept going after each other.


On the other hand, the Philippine Hanging Parrot, was most cooperative - posing for us for a while.


A couple of hours later, avian activity died down a bit with only the Lowland White-eyes staying around.


Cynthia and I decided to try our luck at the young Philippine Scops Owls at the nearby "frogs" area. It was my wife's sharp eyes that found the bird we were looking for.


After that, the three of us, me, my wife and Peter, decided to call it day. After all we already got our "quotas". Besides I wasn't feeling 100% well yet.

Hopefully, the rest of our birding year would be as fine as today.

No comments: