Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Whoaa, Waterbirds!

It was a bonanza! There are always a lot of waterbirds at Bolsa Chica in Orange County, I know that for a fact. The afternoon of March 19 was no exception. After enjoying the exotics at the Los Angeles Arboretum that morning, I asked my companions that we visit my favorite wetlands after lunch. It was hot when we arrived so Cynthia and Kurt decided to sit this one out (after all they were exhausted after a whole morning of shopping).

Despite the heat, I had a blast taking pictures of different kinds of wild ducks and various shorebirds despite using only my 300mm lens.

American Wigeon
Bufflehead
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Long-billed Dowitcher
Marbled Godwit
Long-billed Curlew
As it will be the case with the rest of my birding days in the U.S., there was always a "bonus" usually just before ending my sortie. Here at Bolsa Chica, it was a Horned Grebe in its colorful breeding plumage, feasting on some unfortunate fish.


For the rest of the Bolsa Chica bird photographs, please visit my gallery: Birds by Location . And click on California near the bottom. Thanks!

No comments: