Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Oz-some Birding Part III - Birds of Forests, Shrubs, thickets, and Open Fields, Second of Three

This time, let me start off with the parrots. Early in the morning as we were having breakfast at our rented cabin in Lane Cove, my wife heard some screeching noise. Looking up she saw a group of colorful Australian King Parrots (Alisterus scapularis) perch on the tree across from us.



The following morning, a flock of Eastern Rosellas (Platycercus eximius) congregated on the trees right outside our cabin.



Then the next day, we were fortunate to see the Crimson Rosella (Platycercus elegans) not far from where an outdoor wedding was being performed. Note the difference in throat color between the two Rosella species.



On our last birding day, our guide took us to a cemetery where we saw the Musk Lorikeets (Glossopsitta concinna).



At the Waterbird Refuge in the Sydney Olympic Park, we had the good fortune of seeing three more beautiful birds.

The Rose-browed Finch (Neochmia temporalis)



New Holland Honeyeater (Philodonyris novaehollandiae) - the second of four kinds of honeyeaters that we have seen.



As I stopped to catch my breath after a long walk, I don't know why but I had the urge to turn around and look up at the tree branch over the path I was taking. There I saw the Red Wattlebird (Anthrocaera carunculata) practically begging me to take its picture.







No comments: